Looking to buy a camera that is perfect for shooting high-quality videos? Without a doubt, mirrorless cameras are the way to go. These cameras offer fantastic video quality, and with their compact size, they are excellent for shooting in small spaces. However, with so many options to choose from, finding the best mirrorless cameras for video can be a daunting task. That’s why we’ve put together a comprehensive list of the top 10 best mirrorless cameras for video, complete with reviews and a buying guide, to help you make an informed decision.
Our Top Picks
Last update on 2023-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Mirrorless Cameras For Video: A Beginner’s Overview
Mirrorless cameras are increasingly becoming popular among video content creators because of their portability and advanced video features. Unlike DSLR cameras, mirrorless cameras have no mirror between the lens and the sensor, making them much lighter and smaller. As a result, they are easier to handle and more versatile in terms of shooting locations.
Thanks to their advanced autofocus capabilities and the ability to shoot high-quality video, mirrorless cameras have become go-to tools for videographers. Some of their features, such as auto exposure modes and in-body image stabilization, have made it possible to get clear and stable footage without the need for additional equipment. The ability to shoot in 4K has also made mirrorless cameras an attractive investment for those looking to produce high-quality video content. Overall, mirrorless cameras are a great option for video creators looking for a reliable, compact camera that can produce stunning video footage.
Our Recommendations for the Best Mirrorless Cameras For Video
- Feature-Packed Camera: Why trust your memories to a phone. With exceptional performance and versatility, the LUMIX G100 captures life in crystal-clear 4K photo,...
- Grows as Your Skills Grow: iA (intelligent auto) mode gives the perfect shot every time, or use manual modes as your skills sharpen; Micro Four Thirds system is...
- Use as a Webcam: Easily connect the G100 to your computer so that your web calls, livestreams, interviews, and media all look crisp, bright, and professional
- Shoot, Transfer, Edit, Share: Features guide you at every step—frame marker for social media aspect ratios; facial recognition; blur-free dual image...
- Advanced 360-Degree Sound: High-performance microphone with tracking audio auto-adjusts to record clearly inside or outside, in crowds, one-on-ones, nature, and...
- World’s fastest AF at 0 02 sec W/ real-time AF & Object tracking
- Wide 425-phase/425-contrast detection AF points over 84% of sensor
- 24 2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ front end LSI and ISO up to 51 200
- Up to 11fps continuous shooting at 24 2MP RAW w/ AF/AE tracking
- Real-time AF Tracking Real-time Eye AF for human and animal
- Focus on Your Creativity: Perfect for photographers who are ready to excel, the LUMIX G95M has a superb, powerful 20.3 MP Digital Live MOS sensor and advanced...
- Versatile and Portable: Lightweight Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera is weather sealed with a flexible, free-angle monitor, ready for any adventure; LUMIX G...
- Exceptional Flexibility: 4K 24/30P video capture, plus preinstalled Vlog-L, features log characteristics with 12 Stops of dynamic range for maximum freedom in...
- Features for Maximum Expression: Live View Composite mode lets you compose a single image out of many; adjust focus after shooting; develop, and retouch inside...
- High Sound Quality: External microphone/headphone jacks let you record and monitor sound using external equipment
- This Al’s Variety Camera Bundle Includes 2pc Transcend 64GB Class 10 SD Memory Card, LED Video Light, Directional Condeser Shotgun Video MicroPhone, 49mm...
- Canon EOS R100 Mirrorless Camera-24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor, DIGIC 8 Image Processor, 4K 24p Video with Crop, Full HD 60p, Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 143 AF Zones,...
- Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens-RF-S-Mount Lens/APS-C Format, 29-72mm (35mm Equivalent), Aperture Range: f/4.5-6.3 to f/32, Two Aspherical Elements,...
- Multimedia Content Creation-Designed for modern-day content creators, the compact and portable Canon EOS R100 Mirrorless Camera offers a wide range of features...
- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Processor-Striking a fine balance between resolution, file size, speed, and low-light performance, the APS-C-sized 24.2MP...
- Designed for DSLR, SLR, EVIL, Mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses and for video cameras. Foto&Tech photo lens cap keeper holder prevents your lens...
- Peel-n-stick application. The DSLR lens cap holder with string is easy to use. It has a small button with strong adhesive back that sticks securely onto the...
- Elastic loop stretches to wrap around tightly on the circumference of the lens barrel or attaches to camera’s strap connector points so that your lens cap...
- The camera lens cap keeper for camera and video camera is compatible with virtually all types of lens caps with or without a loop or hole available,...
- Lightweight and durable. The universal camera lens cap holders with string are great camera lens accessories for all photographers.
- Photo and video capability 16 Megapixel micro Four Thirds sensor confidently captures sharp images with a high Dynamic Range (HDR)
- 4K capture 4K Ultra HD video recording (3840 x 2160) Plus 4K PHOTO pause and save frame that extracts individual high-resolution photos from 4K Ultra HD video
- Intuitive controls easily control aperture and shutter speed settings with the front and rear dials while making white balance and is adjustments on the fly...
- High-resolution viewfinder and LCD display high-resolution (2 360k-dot) OLED live view Finder and rear touch-enabled 3-inch tilt/swivel LCD display (1 040-dot)...
- 2 lens bundle value Lumix g Vario 14-42mm F3 5-5 6 II ASPH and Lumix g Vario 45-150mm F4 0-5 6
- Compact, lightweight and durably constructed mirrorless camera
- First DX-format mirrorless camera to use a large 55 millimeter lens mount, offering advantages in high image quality and lowlight performance.
- 20.9 MP sensor with robust 4K UHD video features
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for simple pairing to a smartphone.
- "Selfie" flip down touch LCD screen, great for self-portraits and vlogging.
- Next Gen speed: experience the world’s fastest 0. 02 sec AF with real-time AF and object tracking
- Enhanced subject capture: wide 425 Phase/ 425 contrast detection points over 84% of the sensor
- Fast & accurate: up to 11Fps continuous shooting at 24. 2MP raw with crisp, clear natural colors
- Multiple movie functions: make time lapse movies or slow/quick motion videos without post processing
- Tiltable LCD screen: customizable for vlogging, still photography or recording a professional film. Lens compensation setting - peripheral shading, chromatic...
- World’s first 5 axis in body image stabilization in a full frame camera
- Use your favorite lenses without blur from camera shake; High 50 Mbps bit rate XAVC S21 format recording of Full HD movies
- Capture stunning images with full frame, 24.3MP resolution. Lens Compensation: Peripheral shading, chromatic aberration, distortion
- Fast hybrid AF with phase detection: 30 percent faster than a7
- Compatible with Sony’s E mount lenses, and others with adaptors
- Mirrorless versatility on a whole new level. 24.5MP BSI resolution that excels in low light. 14 FPS suitable for fast action. 4K UHD Video performance at its...
- Full frame. Full pixel readout. Full featured 4K UHD Video. Top of the line video performance with 4K UHD 60p using full pixel readout and a host of outstanding...
- Dual card slots (CFexpress/XQD + UHS-II SD). Flexibility and peace of mind when shooting important moments or on assignment, such as wedding and event...
- Vertical Grip Ready. Now compatible with the new vertical battery grip for those in need of more power and easier shutter operation when shooting vertically....
- One mount accepts them all. Compatible with a growing line of NIKKOR Z lenses as well as approx. 360 F-mount NIKKOR lenses with FTZ mount adapter (sold...
Last update on 2023-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Reasons for Buying Mirrorless Cameras For Video
Mirrorless cameras have gained huge popularity in recent years, thanks to their advanced features and compact size. However, when it comes to videography, mirrorless cameras have emerged as the top choice for both amateurs and professionals. In this section, we will explore some key reasons why mirrorless cameras are perfect for filming video content.
Better autofocus is one of the main reasons why many people choose to buy mirrorless cameras for video. Autofocus capabilities make a huge difference in the overall video quality, because it helps to keep your footage in focus and sharp, even when you’re moving around. Mirrorless cameras boast advanced autofocus systems that allow for fast and accurate focusing, which is essential when you’re capturing dynamic scenes.
One of the main advantages of mirrorless cameras is that they use electronic viewfinders that can display real-time autofocus information. This means that when you’re shooting video, you can see exactly what the camera is focusing on and make adjustments on the fly. Additionally, many mirrorless cameras come with advanced autofocus features like face detection, eye tracking, and touch-to-focus functionality, which make it easier to capture your subject with precision and accuracy. Overall, a mirrorless camera with excellent autofocus capabilities can make a huge difference in the quality of your video footage, and allow you to capture stunning video with ease.
Lightweight and portable
One major advantage of mirrorless cameras for video is their lightweight and portable design. Unlike traditional DSLRs, which can be bulky and heavy, mirrorless cameras are smaller and easier to carry around. This makes them ideal for travel, vlogging, and other situations where you need to move around quickly without being weighed down.
In addition to being more portable, mirrorless cameras are often designed with ergonomic features that help reduce fatigue and strain on your hands and arms. This makes them more comfortable to hold and use for extended periods of time, making them ideal for shooting longer videos or capturing multiple takes without getting tired. Overall, the lightweight and portable design of mirrorless cameras makes them a great choice for anyone looking for a versatile and flexible video camera that can be easily transported and used in a variety of settings.
Higher resolution video
With the rise in popularity of video content on various platforms, the demand for high-quality videos has also increased. Mirrorless cameras offer higher resolution video than traditional DSLR cameras due to their advanced technology and absence of a mechanical mirror. Mirrorless cameras use a digital viewfinder instead of a pentaprism, which allows for faster and more precise autofocusing.
Mirrorless cameras also offer larger sensor sizes, which results in better image quality and low-light performance. With resolutions as high as 4K and even 8K in some models, mirrorless cameras are ideal for creating cinematic footage and professional-quality videos. Higher resolution video is essential for content creators who want to stand out and produce visually stunning videos.
Guide to Choose the Best Mirrorless Cameras For Video
When it comes to capturing high-quality videos, mirrorless cameras have become a popular choice for enthusiasts and professionals alike. However, with so many options available in the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the best one that suits your needs. To help you make an informed decision, here are some essential factors that you should consider before investing in a mirrorless camera for video.
Sensor size is an important factor to consider before buying a mirrorless camera for video. Generally, larger sensors result in better image quality with less noise and better low-light performance. This is because larger sensors are able to capture more light and detail, resulting in sharper and more vibrant images. Additionally, larger sensors also allow for shallower depth of field, which can create a more cinematic look with blurred backgrounds that draw attention to the subject.
Furthermore, the kind of lenses that are usable on a camera depends on the sensor size. Larger sensors can generally accept more types of lenses, while smaller sensors may be more limited in their lens compatibility. Therefore, it is important to consider the type of shooting you intend to do and select a camera with a sensor size that is suitable for your needs. Overall, sensor size plays a significant role in the performance and functionality of mirrorless cameras for video, and should be carefully considered before making a purchase.
Video resolution and frame rates
Video resolution and frame rates are important considerations when shopping for a mirrorless camera for video. The resolution, or the number of pixels that make up the image, determines the level of detail and clarity in the video. Higher resolutions, such as 4K or even 8K, provide sharper images and allow for more flexibility in post-production. Frame rate refers to the number of images captured per second and affects the overall smoothness and realism of the footage. Higher frame rates, such as 60 frames per second, create smoother motion and are particularly important for capturing fast-moving subjects.
When considering video resolution and frame rates, it’s important to think about the type of video content you’ll be creating. For example, if you plan on shooting sports or action footage, you’ll want a camera with a high frame rate to capture the fast movement smoothly. If you plan on creating cinematic-style videos, you may prefer a camera with a high resolution to capture more detail. Choosing a camera with the right resolution and frame rate for your needs will ensure that your videos have the desired quality and smoothness.
Autofocus is an important aspect to consider while buying a mirrorless camera for video. It can make or break the quality of your video. A good autofocus system results in crisp and seamless transitions between different shots, making the video look more professional. Mirrorless cameras with advanced autofocus systems can track movements in real-time, adjust focus quickly, and lock onto subjects accurately, which is essential for fast-paced videos or videos with moving subjects.
Additionally, a good autofocus system allows you to focus on the artistic aspects of your video without worrying about the technical aspects. It enables you to focus on framing shots, exploring different angles, and experimenting with new techniques. Thus, investing in a mirrorless camera with a reliable autofocus system can significantly improve the quality of your videos and provide greater creative freedom.
Stabilization technology is crucial when it comes to shooting videos, especially with mirrorless cameras. Mirrorless cameras are typically lighter and smaller in size compared to DSLRs, making it more challenging to capture stabilized footage. By investing in a mirrorless camera that has built-in stabilization technology, you can ensure that your videos are smooth and steady, delivering improved professional-looking results.
The stabilization technology in mirrorless cameras can be in the form of mechanical or electronic stabilization. Mechanical stabilization involves the movement of the camera’s sensor or lens to counteract any shake or movement, while electronic stabilization uses software algorithms to stabilize the footage. Regardless of which type of stabilization technology you opt for, it is crucial to consider this feature when purchasing a mirrorless camera for video use as it guarantees smooth and professional footage.
Lens selection and compatibility
Lens selection and compatibility are important factors to consider before purchasing a mirrorless camera for video because they determine the cameras’ versatility and creative potential. The lens selection is vital because different lenses have various focal lengths, apertures, and optical properties, creating different visual effects. For example, wide-angle lenses capture more of the scene, while telephoto lenses offer a narrow field of view, making them useful for capturing details from a distance. A limited lens selection can prevent a photographer or videographer from achieving the desired visual outcome.
Compatibility is also essential in determining equipment for a shoot. Some camera brands manufacture lenses that fit exclusively with their brand’s cameras. Ensuring compatibility between the lens and camera ensures there are no technical issues for footage recording. Overall, these factors play an important role in maximizing the possibilities of creative vision when using a mirrorless camera for video production.
Audio input options
Audio can make or break the quality of a video, so it’s crucial to consider audio input options when buying a mirrorless camera for video use. Many mirrorless cameras have built-in microphones, but these often produce poor sound quality and pick up unwanted background noise. Therefore, it’s important to consider options for external microphones that can be attached to the camera.
Having the ability to attach an external microphone to a mirrorless camera gives you more control over the audio quality of your videos. There are a variety of options available, including shotgun and lapel microphones, which can capture audio much more clearly and with less background noise. When choosing a mirrorless camera for video, consider models that have a microphone input jack or are compatible with external microphone adapters. This ensures that you can capture high-quality audio to complement your video footage and elevate the overall quality of your content.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages of using a mirrorless camera for video over a traditional DSLR camera?
Mirrorless cameras typically have faster and more accurate autofocus during video recording. They also offer better image stabilization, which is especially useful for handheld shots. Additionally, mirrorless cameras generally have a smaller form factor and are more lightweight, making them easier to transport and maneuver during video shoots. They often have higher video resolutions and frame rates, as well as features such as focus peaking and zebra patterns for better manual focus and exposure control. Finally, many mirrorless cameras allow for silent shooting with electronic shutters, which is important for shooting video in quiet environments.
Can I use my existing lenses on a mirrorless camera for video?
Yes, in most cases you can use your existing lenses on a mirrorless camera for video. However, you may need to use an adapter to make the lens compatible with the camera’s mount. It is important to ensure that the adapter or lens is capable of transmitting electronic information to the camera so that you can take advantage of autofocus and other features. Additionally, because mirrorless cameras have smaller sensor sizes than traditional DSLRs, using certain lenses may result in a crop factor that affects the focal length of the lens.
What are some important features to consider when purchasing a mirrorless camera for video?
When purchasing a mirrorless camera for video, some important features to consider are the sensor size, autofocus system, video resolution and frame rates, image stabilization, and durability of the camera body. A larger sensor size allows for better image quality, especially in low light situations. The autofocus system should be quick and accurate, allowing for smooth transitions between subjects. High video resolution and frame rates are also important for creating professional-looking footage. Image stabilization helps to reduce camera shake and ensure stable footage. Finally, a durable camera body that can withstand wear and tear is essential for shooting on location.
The Bottom Line
Whether you are a professional filmmaker or just starting to explore the world of videography, having the best mirrorless camera for video is crucial to capture stunning and high-quality footage. With so many options available in the market, it could be overwhelming to choose the right one that fits your needs. That’s why we’ve handpicked the top 10 best mirrorless cameras for video in this article to help you make a well-informed decision and enhance your videography skills.
Investing in the best mirrorless camera for video will not only help you capture exceptional footage but also enhance your overall videography experience. From 4K resolution to slow-motion capabilities, these cameras deliver outstanding video quality that is sure to impress your audience. So whether you’re a professional videographer or a content creator looking to upgrade your setup, choose the best mirrorless camera for video and take your videography skills to the next level.