For photography enthusiasts who adore vintage cameras, M42 cameras are definitely a must-have. M42 mount is a universal mount that was widely used in the manual focus cameras in the 60s and 70s. These cameras provide a unique charm and nostalgia that other modern cameras cannot replicate.
In this article, we have rounded up the top 10 best M42 cameras that are still beloved by photographers today. From the sturdy construction to the superb image quality, these cameras stand the test of time. So, if you’re planning to add the best M42 camera to your collection or starting the journey with film photography, this buying guide will help you make an informed decision.
Last update on 2023-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Overview of M42 Cameras
M42 cameras were popular 35mm SLR cameras in the mid-20th century, designed to use M42 screw mount lenses. The M42 mount was introduced by Zeiss in 1949 and became widely adopted by camera manufacturers including Pentax, Praktica, Fujica, and Yashica. M42 cameras were renowned for their quality construction and durability.
M42 cameras were commonly used for general photography, with some models featuring advanced features such as through-the-lens metering and multiple exposure capabilities. The availability of a wide variety of M42 lenses also made these cameras popular among amateur and professional photographers alike, allowing for creative experimentation with different focal lengths and aperture settings. Although M42 cameras are no longer produced, they remain highly sought after by vintage camera enthusiasts and photographers seeking a more traditional shooting experience.
10 Best M42 Cameras – Reviewed
- Mounts M42 Screw Mount (Pentax Takumar and Zeiss Lenses) SLR lenses to Canon EOS (EF, EF-S) Mount SLR Cameras
- High-tolerance precision craftsmanship; infinity focus or beyond allowed
- All-metal design; hardened anodized aluminum construction
- Premium grade Fotodiox adapter
- Extension tube kits are used to get the correct image focus or precise spacing needed to solve spacing problems in astrophotography. There are a total of 8 sets...
- M42x0.75 threads on both ends make it versatile. External thread M42*0.75; Internal thread M42*0.75; eliminates a series of focusing problems.
- All-metal construction and anodized aluminum workmanship; durable.
- Meet different needs; the desired spacing can be achieved by combining several extenders of different lengths; you can use 1 piece; 2 pieces or 3 pieces of...
- Matte treatment: Internal with matt thread, use the product to focus more
- M42 screw cap/ 42mm screw caps For M42 42mm screw mount Lens
- M42 lens cover fits classic leness with M42 42mm screw mount, such as Pentax takumar, Helios M42 lenses
- M42 screw cap can protect your valuable lenses against scratches, moisture, dust and fingerprints when it is not attached to the camera.
- Package included: M42 lens cover x 5pcs
- Mounts M42 type 1 Screw Mount SLR Lenses to Nikon F Mount SLR Camera Body; infinity focus is limited
- Enhanced craftsmanship and high-tolerance construction for demanding professionals
- Precise fit and solid connection; lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments required
- Precision all-metal construction with chrome plated brass mounts for secure and solid fit
- Limited 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty
- This Body Cap and Rear Lens Cap Kit compatible with M42 42mm screw mount camera bodies and lenses.
- A body cap protects the camera's sensor and interior from dust and damage when a lens is not in place.
- The rear lens cap protects the rear glass element and electronic contacts from scratches, dust, water, and fingerprints.
- Allows M42 Lens to fit on Canon EOS Camera body.
- Manual focus and manual exposure. It also can be used with Macro rings and other accessories
- Smooth surface for effortless mount. Durable anodized aluminum construction.
- Compatible Cameras (including, but not limited to): 1d/1ds, Mark II, III, IV, X, C, 5D, 5D Mark II/III 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 60Da, Rebel xt, xti,...
- Note: Lens adapter ONLY. Camera in the pictures NOT included.
- All Metal Design
- Smooth surface for effortless mount
- Infinity Focus Guaranteed
- Accurate Flange to Focus distances
- 24 Month Manufacture Warranty
- Telescope camera adapter;quick connection of DSLR SLR cameras to telescopes with 2 inch telescope eyepiece or filters
- T mount adaptor;universal M42x0.75mm thread fits any standard 2 inch filter or telescope eyepiece devices with M48x0.75 interface
- Fits any standard 2 inch filter or other telescope accessories;male thread is M42x0.75 female thread is M48x0.75
- Fully metal design with black anodized aluminum;the housing is blackened to get high contrast images
- Optical path extends only 3mm focus position is almost unchanged
- Adapter Male Thread: M42*0.75 suitable for connecting to T2 SLR camera mount;Small size and easy to use telescope tube
- Female thread;M48*0.75 suitable for connecting filters;Match different brand SLR/DSLR cameras; telescope tube
- T-head size;2 inches suitable for diagonal telescope astronomy telescopes;Helpful for the astronomical telescope photography; telescoping tubing
- Extinction; internal complete extinction thread；Material: Aluminum alloy;Internal thread of T-mount fit Standard 2inch filters
- At the end of the adapter is threaded to accept standard 2" filter;Made of Alluminum Alloy Frame and the internal is extinted
- 【Manual Focus】 No electronic contacts. Diaphragm control of the lens is set manually. Supports manual control, manual focus, manual exposure and focus to...
- 【Unique Design】The appearance of the 4th generation lens mount adopts a twill knurled design, and the key points are treated with non-slip, making it easier...
- 【Camera Mount】 Compatible for Sony E-Mount mount cameras, include Sony Alpha α7 I / II / III, α7R I / II / III / IV, α7S I / II / III, α9 I / II, α1,...
- 【 Material】High-quality copper and aluminum alloy ;High precision and durable, Install and remove smoothly; Matting varnish inside to avoid light...
- 【Pre-purchase Verification】 Please ensure your lens mount and camera mount before purchase in case of unnecessary returning. We are here for help if you...
Last update on 2023-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What are the Advantages of Buying M42 Cameras?
There are several reasons why investing in an M42 camera could be a wise decision for photography enthusiasts. Here are some key benefits to keep in mind.
Vintage feel and look
M42 cameras, also known as screw mount cameras, were popular during the mid-20th century. They are nostalgic and have a vintage feel to them. Many people are drawn to the aesthetic of these cameras because they bring a sense of nostalgia and history.
The older, mechanical cameras provide a tactile and sensory experience that many modern cameras cannot replicate. With their metal build, leatherette texture and manual focus ring, M42 cameras give one a sense of the past. Additionally, they often come with beautiful glass lenses that have unique and interesting characteristics, which are not easy to replicate with modern cameras. Hence, M42 cameras can be an ideal way to capture memorable and artistic photos, while also appealing to those who cherish a vintage aesthetic.
Manual control of settings
M42 Cameras are popular for their ability to provide manual control over settings. These cameras come with a wide range of settings including aperture, shutter speed, and focus that can be manually adjusted based on the photographer’s needs. This level of manual control provides a high degree of flexibility, allowing photographers to create unique and personalized shots.
Manual control is essential for certain types of photography such as portrait, landscape, or macro photography, where a level of precision is required. With manual control, photographers can adjust settings based on their own creativity and skill, rather than relying on automatic or semi-automatic settings. This allows photographers to experiment with different techniques and styles, resulting in more unique and creative photographs. Overall, M42 Cameras with manual control provide photographers with the ability to enhance their skills, improve their craft, and create images that truly stand out.
Compatible with a wide range of lenses
M42 cameras were popular in the 1960s and 1970s and were known for their compatibility with a wide range of lenses. This is because they had a universal M42 screw mount that was adopted by multiple lens manufacturers, making it easy to swap between different brands of lenses. This compatibility meant that photographers could easily experiment with different types of lenses, such as telephoto, macro, or wide-angle lenses, without having to worry about matching the mount to their camera.
The M42 mount is still useful today for photographers who want to explore vintage lenses and experiment with different types of glass. Many M42 lenses can be adapted to modern digital cameras, extending their lifespan and making them a versatile addition to any photographer’s kit. Additionally, the M42 mount is a great option for hobbyists and beginners who don’t want to invest in an expensive camera system but still want to have access to a range of lenses. Overall, the compatibility of M42 cameras with a wide range of lenses makes them a versatile and flexible choice for photographers of all levels.
What Things to Consider when Buying M42 Cameras?
When it comes to finding the best M42 cameras, several factors are crucial to consider. From the camera’s build quality and lens compatibility to its features and price, making an informed decision can result in an exceptional shooting experience.
Condition of the camera body and lens
When buying M42 cameras, it is important to consider the condition of the camera body and lens. The body of the camera should not have any significant physical damage, such as cracks or dents, as this can impact the performance of the camera and decrease its lifespan. It is also important to ensure that all the buttons and controls are functioning properly.
The lens is equally important to consider, as it is the component that directly affects the quality of the image. Any scratches, fungus, or dust inside the lens can significantly impact the final image. It is essential to check the focus ring, the aperture blade, and any other moving components to ensure they are functioning smoothly and without any resistance. Overall, the condition of the camera body and lens can greatly impact the performance and image quality of the M42 camera, making it essential to carefully consider before making a purchase.
Availability of compatible lenses
Availability of compatible lenses is an important factor to consider when buying M42 cameras because it will determine the variety of lenses you can use for your photography needs. M42 mount lenses are old, and they may be difficult to find in the market. However, the availability of compatible lenses will allow you to choose from a selection of lenses, including prime and zoom lenses, fisheye, and macro lenses. This will provide you with the flexibility and versatility to capture a wide range of images for your photography projects.
Furthermore, if you have a specific lens preference for your work, it is essential to ensure that the M42 camera is compatible with it. This will help you avoid investing in incompatible equipment, which will limit your photography options. By considering the availability of compatible lenses, you will be making a smart investment in your photography equipment, and ensure that you can capture quality images both now and in the future.
Cost of film and development
The cost of film and development is an important consideration when buying M42 cameras because these cameras use film to capture images. While film photography can produce beautiful and unique images, it can also be expensive. Film costs can be high, especially for high-quality options, and developing the film can also add up quickly. Therefore, it’s important to factor these costs into your decision to purchase an M42 camera.
Additionally, the cost of film and development can impact how often you use your camera and how many photos you take. If the cost is too prohibitive, you may not be able to use the camera as frequently as you’d like, which could impact the overall value of the purchase. By considering the cost of film and development beforehand, you can make an informed decision about whether an M42 camera is right for you and your budget.
Features and capabilities of the camera
When buying M42 Cameras, it is essential to consider their features and capabilities since they determine the quality of pictures one can take. The camera’s aperture, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, lens compatibility, and focusing system are some of the critical features to check. A camera with manual control of aperture and shutter speeds helps to create better images, allowing photographers to adjust settings as per their creative requirements. Additionally, the ISO sensitivity determines how the camera captures light and how well it performs in low light conditions. The lens compatibility is also a must-check feature to ensure that you get quality and compatible lenses. A camera with a good focusing system is yet another important feature to consider when looking for M42 cameras.
Overall, considering features and capabilities when buying M42 cameras is essential to ensure you get the best value for your money. It helps you to make an informed decision about what camera to buy, get the best quality pictures, and improve your photography skills.
Availability of repair services and parts
When buying an M42 camera, it is important to consider the availability of repair services and parts to ensure that the camera can be maintained and serviced in the future. As M42 cameras have been out of production for many years, finding spare parts and repair services can be difficult and costly. Ensuring that repair services and parts are available before purchasing an M42 camera can save a great deal of time, money, and frustration in the long term.
Moreover, M42 cameras are mechanical in nature and therefore, they are prone to damage and wear and tear. The availability of repair services and parts also determines the longevity of the camera. When the camera is not maintained, it may break down easily and its lifespan is shortened. Moreover, when a part breaks and it is not possible to find a replacement, the camera can become unusable. Therefore, it is important to consider the availability of repair services and spare parts before investing in an M42 camera to ensure that it can be used for many years without any problems.
After thorough research and analysis, we have presented the top 10 best M42 cameras that are available in the market. These cameras offer a blend of exquisite features that cater to the needs of both beginners and professionals. The M42 mount is known for its versatility, which makes these cameras compatible with a wide range of lenses, offering photographers with creative flexibility.
In conclusion, the best M42 cameras offer a combination of sturdy build, exceptional image quality, and advanced features that let you unleash your creative potential. The devices listed in this article are the best in the market, and they offer excellent value for money. So, if you’re looking for a reliable camera that can produce outstanding images, our buying guide and reviews can assist you in making an informed decision.