Photography is a form of art that requires the right equipment to bring out the best in your shots. Intermediate cameras are the perfect equipment for photographers who have outgrown beginner cameras but are not yet ready for professional ones. Intermediate cameras offer the perfect balance between ease of use and advanced features. However, choosing the right intermediate camera can be daunting, as there are hundreds of models available. In this article, we have compiled a list of the top 10 best intermediate photography cameras and provided a comprehensive buying guide to help you make an informed decision. So, if you’re looking for the best intermediate photography cameras, read on!
Our Top Picks
Last update on 2023-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Intermediate Nikon Cameras: A Beginner’s Overview
Intermediate photography cameras are designed for photographers who have gained some level of experience with basic photography and want to explore more creative possibilities. These cameras often come with more advanced features such as higher resolution sensors, faster autofocus systems, and more manual controls that offer greater flexibility and control over the final image. They also tend to be more rugged and weather-sealed, making them suitable for use in more challenging shooting environments.
Intermediate cameras are typically marketed to hobbyists, enthusiasts, and semi-professional photographers who are looking to improve their photography skills. They offer a stepping stone between entry-level and professional-grade cameras, providing a balance between affordability and performance. They are capable of producing high-quality images that rival those produced by professional cameras, making them a popular choice for photographers who want to take their skills to the next level. Overall, intermediate photography cameras offer a great combination of quality, performance, and affordability for photographers who are looking to expand their creative horizons. So, if you want to explore and experiment with photography, an intermediate camera can be a perfect choice for you.
Best Intermediate Nikon Cameras by Editors Choice
- NIKKOR lens with 26x optical zoom; 4.0-104.0 mm (35mm  format equivalent: 22.5-585 mm), f/3.1-5.9
- Digital zoom magnification Up to 4x (35mm  format equivalent: Approx. 2340 mm)
- Storage media SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
- Includes Four LR6/L40 (AA-size) alkaline batteries, UC-E16 USB Cable, Camera Strap, LC-CP25 Lens Cap (with cord), ViewNX 2 CD
- Power sources AA-size batteries
- Superb image quality: 20.9 MP DX CMOS sensor paired with EXPEED 6 processing engine
- Vlogger Ready: 4K UHD, Flip out Vari-angle LCD, full time AF with eye detection, built-in stereo microphone, external microphone jack, live stream and web...
- Heritage Design: Classic tactile design with analog controls for shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation
- Send images to your phone: Always connected using the free Nikon SnapBridge app and a compatible smart device. Intuitive: Easy access to Auto Mode, quick...
- Lens Compatibility: Compatible with NIKKOR Z lenses as well as F Mount NIKKOR lenses using FTZ Mount Adapter (sold separately).
- 24.3MP full frame CMOS sensor
- 39 point AF system (9 cross type)
- ISO 100 6400 expandable up to 25,600
- 3.2 inch Lcd with 921,000 dots
- 1080/30p, 25p or 24p or 720/60p, 50p or 30p hd video (mpeg 4 AVC/h.264)
- This Certified Refurbished product is manufacturer refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90 day warranty
- 24.2 MP DX format CMOS sensor,Display Screen 3.0 Inch Rear Screen, LCD (921000)
- EXPEED III Image Processing
- Wide ISO sensitivity range,Filter Thread: 52 millimeter
- One touch Full HD 1080p movie recording
- Busch, David D. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 528 Pages - 11/10/2020 (Publication Date) - Rocky Nook (Publisher)
- This Certified Refurbished product is refurbished to factory specifications, it shows limited or no wear
- Includes all original accessories plus a 90 Day Warranty
- Nikon D3500 24.2MP DSLR Camera w/ AF-P 18-55mm VR Lens & 70-300mm Dual Zoom Lens
- INCLUDES In The BOX: D3500 Camera Body | EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery | MH-24 Quick Charger | AN-DC3 Strap | BF-1B Body Cap | DK-25 Rubber Eyecup | AF-P...
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Nikon D3500 24.2MP DSLR Camera with AF-P 18-55mm VR Lens & 70-300mm Dual Zoom Lens Kit | Sandisk Ultra SDHC 16GB UHS Class 10 Memory Card |...
- 16 megapixel 1/2.3 inches BSI CMOS sensor
- Nikkor f/3.0 6.5 millimeter ED lens
- 22.5 900 millimeter (35 millimeter equivalent)
- 40x optical zoom lens, 80x dynamic zoom
- 3 inches 921k dot tilting LCD. Highest ISO sensitivity: 6400
- 【CREATIVE PHOTOGRAPHIC PARTNER】This bracket can be used for both vertical and horizontal shooting, can quickly switch from 'landscape' to 'portrait',...
- 【WILD APPLICATION AND COMPATIBILITY】This quick release plate is suitable for most of cameras or DSLR, such as Canon EOS 80D T6 5D mark i 6D D800 T6i 1300D...
- 【PERFECT MILLING AND STURDY USE】Made by aviation aluminum with highly-precise CNC technique, the bracket features light weight, high strength and good...
- 【WELL DESIGN & PRACTICAL USE】This bracket can be installed on tripod head directly via screw holes or on a quick release clamp, and you can leave room for...
- 【WITH 1/4'' SCREW HOLES FOR EXTENSION USE】With several screw holes for installing microphone, speedlite, panel light, field monitor and more photographic...
Last update on 2023-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Reasons for Buying Intermediate Nikon Cameras
Looking for an upgrade from your entry-level camera? Or maybe you’ve been shooting for a while and want more advanced features to take your photography to the next level? Investing in an intermediate camera may be the way to go. Here are a few reasons why.
Better image quality and resolution
Intermediate Nikon Cameras generally offer better image quality and resolution compared to entry-level or basic point-and-shoot cameras. This is because these cameras feature larger image sensors, better lenses, and more advanced features that aid in capturing high-quality images.
Larger image sensors allow for more light to be captured, resulting in better detail and less noise in images. Better lenses provide sharper and clearer images, while advanced features such as higher ISO capabilities and advanced autofocus systems allow for better performance in low light settings. These improved features and capabilities also allow for more creative control over the final image, giving users more options to achieve their desired results. Overall, intermediate Nikon cameras are a great choice for those who prioritize image quality and resolution in their photography.
More advanced autofocus system
Intermediate Nikon Cameras are preferred over entry-level cameras for their more advanced autofocus system. The autofocus system is a crucial feature of any camera, and the difference between a basic and intermediate model can impact the quality of your images significantly. The primary advantage of an advanced autofocus system is its ability to capture sharp images even in low light conditions or when the subject is moving rapidly.
In an intermediate Nikon camera, the autofocus system typically has a higher number of focus points, increasing its accuracy and eliminating the risk of blurred images resulting from missed focus. Besides, they also have sophisticated tracking systems, which track the subject’s movement and adjust the focus accordingly. This feature is particularly useful for capturing fast-moving subjects such as wildlife, sports, and action photography. Therefore, if you are looking for a camera with a more advanced autofocus system, an intermediate Nikon camera is an excellent choice that will meet your needs.
Increased ability to control settings and customize shooting experience
Intermediate Nikon Cameras enable photographers to have greater control over various settings. They come with a range of manual controls that can be used to achieve the desired outcome. This extra control allows photographers to capture high-quality photographs that meet their specific needs. Moreover, these cameras have more advanced features that can be customized to help the photographer to achieve the ideal settings for their subject and environment.
For example, intermediate Nikon cameras have more advanced autofocus systems that find and track subjects faster and more accurately. They also offer improved image processors that produce sharper, cleaner images. In summary, the increased ability to control settings and customize shooting experience is an essential feature that makes intermediate Nikon cameras a popular option among photographers looking for an upgrade from entry-level models.
Buying Guide – How to Choose the Best Intermediate Nikon Cameras?
When it comes to intermediate photography cameras, there are a few crucial factors to keep in mind that can make the difference between a satisfactory purchase and one that truly elevates your skills. Here are some key considerations to take into account before making a decision.
Budget is an important factor to consider before buying Nikon intermediate cameras because these cameras can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. By setting a budget, you can narrow down your options to cameras that are affordable and within your price range. This will prevent you from overspending on a camera that you may not need or can’t afford.
Additionally, by considering your budget, you can prioritize the features that are important to you and avoid paying for features that you won’t use. This way, you can get the most value out of your investment and choose a camera that meets your specific needs without breaking the bank. Ultimately, setting a budget helps you make an informed decision and choose the best Nikon intermediate camera that fits your requirements and financial situation.
Image quality is an essential factor to consider when buying an intermediate Nikon camera. These cameras are designed for hobbyists and enthusiasts who want to take their photography skills to the next level. Therefore, image quality is a crucial aspect that can make or break the results of your pictures.
Intermediate Nikon cameras offer better image quality than entry-level models. They usually have larger sensors, higher resolution, and better low-light capabilities. These features allow for better detail and sharpness in your images and make them more vibrant and true-to-life. Considering image quality is important as it can determine the overall satisfaction you get from your camera and the results you achieve.
Sensor size is an important consideration when purchasing an intermediate Nikon camera because it directly affects the quality of the image that can be captured. A larger sensor can capture more light and detail, resulting in sharper and more vibrant images. Additionally, a larger sensor can allow for better low-light performance and shallow depth of field, which can be crucial for certain types of photography, such as portraiture and landscape.
Choosing a Nikon camera with a larger sensor can also ensure that the camera will be future-proofed for updates in technology. As technology advances, larger sensors are becoming more common and preferred by professional photographers. By investing in a Nikon camera with a larger sensor now, you can avoid having to upgrade sooner than necessary and continue to produce high-quality images for years to come.
When it comes to buying an intermediate Nikon camera, lens compatibility is a crucial factor to consider. The lenses you choose greatly influence the clarity, sharpness, and overall quality of the photos. Nikon offers a wide range of lenses that are designed for specific purposes, including portrait, landscapes, wildlife, and more. Before buying an intermediate Nikon camera, it’s important to consider which lenses you may need in the future and ensure that they are compatible with the camera you are considering.
Additionally, lens compatibility can have an impact on the overall cost of your photography equipment. Some lenses may be more expensive than others, and choosing a camera that is not compatible with the lenses you need could lead to additional expenses down the line. Ultimately, by considering lens compatibility before purchasing an intermediate Nikon camera, you can ensure that you have the equipment you need to capture high-quality photos without breaking the bank.
Advanced features and settings
Advanced features and settings in Nikon cameras are designed to improve the functionality and performance of the camera. These features offer significant advantages to photographers who want to take high-quality images in various lighting conditions and camera settings. With these advanced features, you can achieve a higher level of customization and control over your photos, making it easier to create images that truly capture the moment.
While intermediate cameras from Nikon offer excellent performance and features, investing in advanced features and settings can expand the range of applications for your camera. Whether you are a professional photographer or an enthusiast, advanced features and settings in Nikon cameras can help you take your photography to the next level. By exploring the various options available on an advanced Nikon camera, you can create high-quality images that stand out and capture the beauty of the world around you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Selecting an intermediate photography camera can be a daunting task, but with this list of top 10 best intermediate photography cameras and buying guide, you can now make an informed decision. Each camera on this list boasts unique features that cater to different photography needs and skill levels. Whether you’re upgrading from a beginner camera or transitioning into a professional photographer, any camera from this list will meet your requirements and help you develop your craft. So, take your time, evaluate your priorities, and choose the best intermediate photography camera that suits your needs and budget!